Latest Stories

News
Power

Dodge Debuts Charger Daytona SRT Concept Electric Musclecar

If it looks like a Dodge, sounds like a Dodge, and drives like a Dodge, it must be a Dodge. That “must-be” vision has been the perpetual mantra behind the development of a...

Road Ready
Unmanned Systems

First Electrified Dodge Arrives for 2023 MY

The industry’s red-hot and crowded compact-utility vehicle market gets a newcomer for the 2023 model year with an electrified, top-of-the-line version of the Dodge Hornet. “It’s...

News
Automotive

Lotus Breaks out with New Eletre Electric SUV

Lotus Cars recently revealed its first SUV, which is itself a radical step for the purist British sportscar icon. But the new battery-electric Eletre also breaks ground in being Lotus’s...

News
Energy

Cadillac Lyriq Spearheads GM’s EV Assault

The 2023 Cadillac Lyriq isn’t the first of GM’s new-age EVs to use the company’s all-encompassing Ultium lithium-ion battery “system” and all-new family of traction motors. That...

News
Energy

VinFast Continues Assertive Expansion Plan

If the name VinFast seems unfamiliar, that’s no surprise. The Vietnamese automaker has been around for barely half a decade, its first product going on sale in its home market in 2019. But as...

Road Ready
Imaging

Seeking More Traction in Budding EV Market, VW Adds AWD to ID.4

A second motor and free charging create a compelling offering as Volkswagen debuts the most-affordable, all-electric, all-wheel-drive SUV.

News
Propulsion

Ford’s Unibody Maverick Aims to Revitalize the Compact Pickup

Confirming one of the industry’s worst-kept product secrets, Ford on June 8 unveiled the 2022 Maverick, its return to the compact-pickup segment that the original Ford...

News
Energy

Toyota Takes Corolla to the ‘Truck’ Side

With a globally revered nameplate in the Corolla sedan – but global buyers gravitating to SUVs – Toyota arrived at the marketing solution that’s been rumored for some time, revealing...

News
Propulsion

Actuating Hybrid and EV Efficiency

Axle-disconnect systems have been a fuel-efficiency enabler in recent years, delivering improvements of up to 10% in all-wheel drive and four-wheel-drive cars and light trucks, depending on vehicle...

News
Propulsion

2021 Nissan Kicks SV

Since its U.S. launch for the ’18 model year, the positioning of the Kicks has puzzled me. Though Nissan was anxious to bill it a “crossover,” I think most would call it a “car.” Nissan hardly is alone in...

Technology Report
Sensors/Data Acquisition

CES 2021: Magna Execs Warn of Impending EV Complexities

The industry’s transition to electrified, and ultimately fully electric, vehicles is bringing far greater complexity in product development and technology-management overall,...

News
Propulsion

What We’re Driving: 2020 Volvo V60 T5 Cross Country

Volvo appears to be slicing out a distinctive (if miniscule) niche by continuing to offer not only what most others have abandoned – genuine station wagons – but, in the case of...

What We’re Driving
Lighting

What We’re Driving: 2020 Kia Seltos SX

Two meaningful takeaways from Kia’s 2020 Seltos SX, an urbanely-styled compact SUV that looks like it’s simultaneously trying to give Land Rover’s new Defender and Subaru’s Forester a run...

News
Energy

Turbocharged Hybrid: 2021 Kia Sorento Revealed

Kia has revealed its 2021 Kia Sorento, an all-new version of its popular 3-row, 5-door mid-size SUV. This is the fourth generation of the Sorento, which was first introduced in 2002, and...

News
Propulsion

2021 ID.4 Is Volkswagen’s First U.S.-Market Dedicated EV

Volkswagen revealed its 2021 ID.4 electric vehicle (EV) on September 23, the brand’s first-ever dedicated EV for the U.S. market. The ID.4 is the initial model in an eventual...

What We’re Driving
Power

What We’re Driving: 2020 Genesis G90 Ultimate

“That car’s got stature!” exclaimed a neighbor of mine, as I was parking the G90. “Nice to see somebody still making big sedans. So, Genesis – that’s Hyundai, right?” Yes....

News
Propulsion

What We’re Driving: 2020 BMW X1 XDrive28i

The overwhelming first impression of BMW’s restyled-for-2020 X1 compact crossover: “Wow this thing feels a little, ah, ‘plumper’ than I recall.” For this second-generation X1...

News
Power

What We’re Driving: 2020 Mazda3 Premium AWD

Before I started a drive in the 2020 Mazda3, I had to toggle the drive-select to “sport.” And release the parking brake. Each and every time. At least the two switches are in proximity...

What We’re Driving
Power

What We’re Driving: 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid

Four regular-sized adults onboard, I’m estimating 575 lbs (261 kg). A steep but abrupt grade of maybe 1.5 miles. One-third of the way up, a passing lane is available and there’s our...

News
Imaging

What We’re Driving: 2020 Kia Telluride

The 2020 Kia Telluride is one of the classic lightning-in-a-bottle models an automaker enjoys maybe once every couple of decades. Assertive-but-not-obnoxious styling combine with a vast cabin...

Technology Report
Manned Systems

The Ford Raptor’s Front Drivetrain Is Pulling for You

The second-generation of Ford’s F-150 Raptor, which launched in 2016 for MY17, is available with an exclusive set of front drivetrain hardware that endows it with exceptional...

News
Imaging

What We’re Driving: 2020 Acura RDX

Acura’s RDX midsize crossover has established itself as an industry benchmark in body engineering, vehicle dynamics, cabin design and related metrics. All this basic goodness has helped this 2-row...

What We’re Driving
Mechanical & Fluid Systems

What We’re Driving: 2020 Lincoln Aviator Reserve

For my experience of Lincoln – and I’m not particularly young – I haven’t been able to understand the “sell” of the brand. Low sales numbers and decades of declining...

Road Ready
Power

All-Wheel-Drive Returns to Chrysler Pacifica for 2021

The refresh of the 2021 model-year Chrysler Pacifica minivan premiers a top-of-the-line luxury trim, the debut of a next-generation infotainment system, and the return of...

News
Energy

Is DC Fast-Charging Ready for Prime Time?

It’s a trip we’ve done scores of times with barely a thought. From our home near SAE International headquarters in western Pennsylvania to the metro Detroit area is approximately 300 miles...

News
Propulsion

Tesla Cybertruck Takes Styling, Materials Risks

Tesla has unveiled its latest concept electric vehicle (EV), the Cybertruck. Revealed at a post-L.A. Auto Show event at Tesla’s design center just south of L.A. in Hawthorne, California...

News
Power

GKN Spreads Premium Propshaft Tech to Quiet Pickup Cabins

It may seem a long way in engineering and NVH terms from premium European cars such as Audi’s A5 and A7 to light duty trucks, but GKN Automotive has bridged that gap with its...

What We’re Driving
Power

2019 Suzuki Jimny

It may seem a conflict in terms, but the all-new, pint-sized 2019 Suzuki Jimny SUV, winner of the Urban Car category in the 2019 World Car Awards, not only has selectable all-wheel drive (Allgrip Pro) but also a...

News
Test & Measurement

Volkswagen Signals New EV Era with Launch of ID.3

Multi-brand, multinational automotive powerhouse Volkswagen crossed a strategic inflection point when its all-new ID.3 electric vehicle (EV) was revealed at the 2019 Frankfurt auto show....